First up in the parade: Demon Preservation!
Demon Preservation functions similarity to Relic Preservation: if a summoned demon would die, the relic can draw upon the demon’s MaxHP to save it via an emergency unsummoning:
Demon Preservation is a bit nastier a bargain though… a demon saved by it suffers a Severe drop in MaxHP. It won’t be much use for active combat again until you’ve won a few battles (since, remember, gaining experience restores MaxHP damage.)
Notably, while Demon Preservation drains roughly 90% of a demon’s MaxHP, it doesn’t require that much to trigger: a Demon need only be at 50%+ of its maximum HP in order to be able to be saved from death. (MaxHP will blink red when a demon’s MaxHP has fallen too low to trigger Demon Preservation; this feature is not yet present in the screenshots above.)
Some other things will be changing too, in relation to this mechanic’s addition:
* Restore Demon will now require an upgrade to use. Faithful Heart summoners will begin with Restore Demon (replacing Revelation.)
* Restore Demon will no longer cost credits, but has a non-standard (to be designed/decided) cooldown mechanic. Additionally, it will no longer be usable on uniques.
* Consume will no longer require Deleting a demon, instead it will be its own action, with the results based on both the level and MaxHP of the target. The target’s MaxHP will be reduced to almost nothing, rather than dying. Note: Consume will give practically no benefits on demons with any significant damage to their MaxHP… though the results of using it on demons with artificially boosted MaxHP might be surprising.
* Damage and healing will be increased across the board again. One of the major reasons for making this change is so that I no longer have to balance damage and healing against very very unlikely, but still vaguely possible, “effectively one shot” scenarios. Now that both summoners and demons have some cushion against such “bad luck”, I will be able to take off the leash a bit and speed up combat overall.
* …and other changes as well, to be decided.
I’ll continue to post updates and information as they become available (but still in busy times at work, so the pace will remain slow for a little bit longer.) Cheers!
New build is up! Links at the right have been updated to the 9/30 build.
The main two changes in this build are Demon now running on Unity 2017 (instead of Unity 5), and what I hope is a significantly improved experience with full screen mode, particularly on Linux systems. Many thanks to Tchey for his help in testing solutions to the full screen issues, since I do not have a Linux system of my own I could test them on.
Other than that, the build includes a few bug fixes to abilities added in the previous build (most especially the Execute ability and its cousins), as well as a new hotkey for swapping abilities (the z key) that should be more friendly for non-QWERTY keyboards.
As previously stated, I will have to drop back to bug fix only / slower forum response times for a bit due to work here coming up, but it will only be for a couple of weeks. After that, it will be time to get back to Fun Stuff.
Cheers, and good luck in the Tower!
A little later than I’d hoped, but I should have the next build (with improved full screen mode and other fixes/quality of life improvements) ready by sometime this weekend.
I’ll probably have to go dark for a bit after that; we’re only about a couple of weeks out from a major deadline at work. But, once that is past, we’ll get started on something new. Cheers!
Thanks to a lot of testing help from TChey, I think I will be able to release a build soon that has significantly improved fullscreen mode visuals, even on Linux builds.
The build will also include a few bug fixes for some of the new abilities, and a new keypress for ability swapping so that this feature is available on non-QWERTY keyboards.
After this release, I’ll need to switch to focusing on work for a bit as we head into a major deadline there, but after that, it will be time to start on some of the long awaiting feature builds that’ve been teased for some time now: things like Relic Preservation for Demons, Relic Upgrade Revamps, Demon Traits, etc. I’m looking forward to those, and I hope you all are too.
Sorry for the slightly longer than usual blog post gap; work is starting to pick up again unfortunately, so updates/work speed will be dropping a bit.
The next build I’m working on is an attempt to fix “stretching” issues some players have been experiencing when playing in fullscreen mode, along with a few other bug fixes. I’m hoping this won’t take toooo long, it’s definitely an “eat my vegetables” sort of build, but I’d promised to look into this some time ago, and am more than overdue on finally getting around to it.
Whoops: four modifiers had some misplaced abilities in them in the original 9/1 version. Updated the links to 9/1/2018_b. Special thanks to OneEyedJoe for spotting the errors (and so quickly to boot!)
New build is released, links to the right have been updated!
Close to 60 new abilities have been added to the game, in addition to a collection of bug fixes and quality of life interface improvements. Enjoy, and good luck in the Tower!
Quick update: I hope to release the “bucket of abilities” build, with nearly 60 new abilities sprinkled throughout the Tower, by sometime this weekend. Cheers!