This is definitely NOT the Matter build
It IS still an important one: it fixes a fairly glaring AI bug that at least sometimes made player allies reluctant to heal the player unless he was very near death and sometimes not even then. It’s fixed now, but yikes… probably the nastiest bug I’ve let out the door in a long time.
Links at the right have been updated.
Thank you to everyone who reported issues with this, with extra tanks for oneeyedjoe, who actually managed to catch a save file of it happening to send to me; this ended up being allowed me to finally pin down the bug.
Good luck in the Tower!
The next build (adding Matter, an entirely new element/ability type) to the game is a pretty big one.
Annnnd, I’m still in the “adjusting” phase of my new job.
Between those facts, it’s probably going to be one of our slower build cycles. I will post information and screenies as they become available, but the pace is going to be a bit slow at the start while I’m still heavily in the design phases and adjusting to the new job’s effects on my schedule.
But, slow or not, work *is* progressing, and hopefully sooner rather than later, I’ll have more details to share! Cheers, and good luck in the Tower!
I’ve updated the links at the right with the new 7/15 build, including some good bug fixes and the new and improved expanded command functionality! I won’t be posting this elsewhere until sometime tomorrow to give a little more time to find any lurking bugs, but I *think* we’re solid on this one. We’ll see soon enough at any rate! Cheers!
Aiming for a Thursday or Friday release: this is a small one, but it includes some important bug fixes and the new, slightly expanded capabilities for commanding your demons.
A quick peek at the interface for commands. As previously discussed, nothing too exciting yes, but switching commands over to a hamburger format will let me add more to the list later. Even already, Focus Fire and Cancel Command will probably get a fair bit of use.
Apologies for the slightly long delay on posting a blog update: this is the first week of my new job so my brain’s spending a bit more time on that as I settle in at my new home.
Some quick updates on what’s coming next, in relative order of awesomeness:
1) Another relatively small update which will include a few more non-critical bug fixes, but also the slightly more interesting…
2) …beginnings of an attempt to expand the “command allies” functionality of the game, which will include the ability to cancel previously given orders, as well as a new variant of the “kill command” that leaves out support demons from the order. Only a nibble in terms of gameplay, but much of the work here behind the scenes will be in laying the ground work for future more interesting additions later. But the most exciting change coming up in the build after this bug fix + command expansion one will be…
3) …the long awaited addition of the Matter element! Matter joins Body and Mind as being one of “negative support” elements. With Matter, you will gain access to acid, disintegration, entanglement, blinding, and even petrification-based abilities. As with Body and Mind, there will be hybrid physical attacks and related passives that make use of some of these effects as well. Matter will be fully integrated into the game when released, including new starting options, abilities on existing demons, new demons with Matter abilities, Matter-themed modifiers, and so on.
Things will remain a bit slow as I adjust to my new job, but the work continues nonetheless! Thanks for your patience, and good luck in the Tower!
Ooof. There’s a certain irony that the bug fix build would have three emergency builds after it. Yuck.
This one fixes Inner Fire not being usable while Muted and Poison+ and Poison++ not being curable.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go hide somewhere in shame.
Links updated. At least it wasn’t for the same bug.
Had to fix a small bug in 6/24 that could cause the game to hang. 6/25 fixes it! Sorry about that!
Whew. Remind me not to decide to do an all UI and bug fix build again, it’s pretty tiring! Links to the right have been updated!
Here’s the full change log for interested parties:
- Renamed Baba's Sanctum to Yaga's Sanctum, which is more gramatically
- Corpse encounters involving demons suffering from a status condition
now involve one less demon.
- Juggernaut now gives less energy, as a belated adjustment based on
movement now being a half-turn action.
- Changed Tremane's ability set slightly, in hopes of leading him to be
a bit less of a heal bot.
- Dash now requires an empty space as a target.
- Discharge and Emit Sparks can now hit Sleeping targets. Notably, this
will cause the AI to be rather reluctant to use them if there is a
Sleeping target they might hit.
- Changed Wild Frenzy's icon to better reflect it is not a movement
- Improved pathfinding and decision making for 'pacifist' demons
attempting to keep their allies in sight. For now, this improvement is
only for player allies due to concerns about the performance of the new
- 'Pacifist' demons are less likely to advance on sleeping targets.
- The AI will no longer use hostile abilities that do not effect any
hostile targets in any way. (This fixes a visual bug where the AI would
sometimes use hostile abilities this way if it had another reason to do
so, such as cooldowns that are reduced by using abilities of a certain
- Reduced the willingness of the AI to take the 'long way' around when
pathing to locations where the direct routes are blocked.
- The AI will no longer consider using hostile enchantments being used
on allies already afflicted by those hostile enchantments, even if it
would not change the remaining duration.
- The AI is now more likely to use hostile AE abilities on its former
allies while Charmed, and is also more likely to attack friendlies who
are in different 'groups'.
- The AI now values removing the Infection status effect more.
- Made the AI less eager to use Miracle cooldown abilities.
- Unconquerable now causes the AI to be less reluctant to use Endure
- Reduced the evaluation for the Regen status effect.
- 'Pacifist' demons are now less aggressive when given a Kill Command.
- Hand of the Dead AI summoners no longer spitefully delete all of their
allies when near death.
- Status effects are now displayed as icons instead of text in most
places that display status effects.
- You can mouse over status effect icons to get a tooltip with information
about the status effect's ... well, effect... and its remaining duration.
- Fixed a bug where the player becoming Charmed while having too many
demons caused a lockup that required restarting Demon to fix.
- Bask should now be better about selecting an Ignited enemy as a default
- Enemy summoners are no longer, under certain circumstances, oddly
hesistant to summon replacement demons during combat.
- Fixed a bug where Dash would sometimes fail when there was no reason for
it to do so during ability execution, causing the user to get "yanked"
back to their original position.
- Newly summoned allies now have their last action set to Basic Pass
instead of null, allowing them to be the target of abilities that
check the last ability used by a target. (This also applies to newly
spawned demons from corpse encounters.)
- Fixed a bug where abilities with "random chances" did not work properly.
- Enchantment removal results are no longer processed if the target
enchantment is not present, which sometimes caused odd messages.
- A certain ability used by a certain entity now respects the Charm
condition and will no longer continue to be used against enemies even
when those enemies have Charmed the source.
- Your Codex is now cleared slightly later in the end game sequence, so
that your demons don't show up as "New!" during the end game review when
playing in Solo mode.
- Fixed a tiny graphical glitch with negotiation windows in lower
- Fixed a tiny graphical glitch with the tile cursor during the end game