The new build is ready and released! The links at the right have already been updated, so go ahead and grab it!
The two main features of this build are the new Ontoclasm icon set and a fairly extensive balance pass focused on cooldown abilities, Light and Dark “conditional” attacks, and Relic Upgrades including significant changes to Aux Guard and Aux Power, the Titan’s Fist starting upgrades. In particular, I think the new Titan’s Fist plays much better and feels more in theme for Demon, since it now requires you to have at least one demon out, rather than being able to (and encouraging) dropping to zero demons, which isn’t really very Demon anymore.
I should also add this would be a good time to give cooldown abilities a chance if you haven’t been impressed with them before. Specifically those with Light, Dark, Presence, and Breath cooldowns, which were significantly improved as part of the balance pass. But on the flip side, you should probably beware of enemies who use those abilities, for they have also benefitted from the balance pass they received.
As always, I hope you enjoy the new build, and good luck in the Tower!
A quick note: The build release target date is 12/20. Cheers!
I’ve made some other Upgrade and Relic tweaks worth mentioning during this balance pass:
- Most levels of Capacity Up are now more expensive than before. As a result, Crown now only starts with Capacity Up IV, not Capacity Up V. (They do however, now start with Copy Saver as well, which works well with large stables of demons.)
- All levels of Far Summon are now cheaper: 2, 3, and 5 points rather than 5, 5, and 5 points.
- Aux Guard and Power’s two levels are 10 and 5 points each respectively. (This means Titan’s Fist doesn’t start with any additional Upgrades than it did before, since Aux Guard and Power’s previous three levels were 5, 5, and 5 points each.)
- Nightingale is now a 15 point upgrade, up from 10. As a result of this and the Capacity Up change, Faithful Heart now starts with Capacity Up I, not Capacity Up II.
- Copy Saver and Fusion Saver now offer 33% discounts, up from 25%.
- Horns of the Hunt now starts with Scan Brand instead of Refine Brand.
- Several enemy summoners have had their Upgrade loadouts adjusted to be level appropriate with the new starting Relic loadouts and point costs.
You may have noticed I’ve been avoiding screenshots lately. There’s been a reason for that: I didn’t want to risk spoiling the surprise addition to the upcoming balance build. New interface and ability icon art by Ontoclasm!
And now, the Ontoclasm version of one of my favorite things to show off about Demon:
Like with Geminimax’s character sprites, there is an option in the options menu for switching back to the old interface and ability icons if you prefer, but Ontoclasm’s icon set will be the active interface and ability icon set used by default.
If you’d like to see more of Ontoclasm’s work, you can check out his itch page here: https://ontoclasm.itch.io/
Thank you for the awesome work on these, Ontoclasm! It’s going to be awesome having these in the game.
Hey, just a quick update. The main thing left now is doing some testing before the release to make sure I didn’t break anything worse than the things I was trying to improve. With the somewhat extensive changes, I admit I expect I’ll probably need to do some follow-up tweaks sometime after release, but I want to try and catch any major issues myself. Not quite ready to give an exact date for the build release, but it will be before Christmas for sure. Cheers!